Friday 12 July 2013

Try something different - three things to get you out of a rut



Like millions of people, I watched Glastonbury on the telly, safe on my sofa, with a great view of the Rolling Stones and a cup of tea in my hand.  To many, this sounds terribly dull.  I have attended loads of festivals in my time - the last one was V at Chelmsford and returning to my hotel room after watching the Manic Street Preachers, the bliss of being able to get the dirt out of my hair in the shower was indescribable.

But I digress.

While watching the wall to wall BBC coverage, I came across a young girl band I'd never heard of called Haim.  Their set (on TV at least) was short, but electrifying.  Their sound was different - a cross between Siouxsie Sioux and early Police, and the lead singer, bassist and keyboard players were intense and very, very focused.  It's been a long time since I was really interested in something new in music, but I've just downloaded some of their songs.

Which got me wondering - what prompts you to try something new?

The first thing of course is exposure.  It’s difficult to try something new if you always see the same people, go the same places, read the same stuff.  Recently, I went back to Birkbeck for their annual Business Week (http://www.bbk.ac.uk/business/about-us/events/business-week) but instead of visiting the events for the school of Organisational Psychology, which I normally do, I went instead to a couple of events on happiness and well-being, hosted by the School of Business, Economics and Infomatics. 

It was fascinating, taking me into a discipline I didn’t know with authors I hadn’t read – but now want to.  It gave me a different perspective which has enriched my experience and my knowledge. So – tip number one:

1.       Go somewhere you’ve never been before, with people you don’t know.

Research indicates that what holds most people back from new experiences is fear – of being uncomfortable, of not enjoying things, or making their “stuck” situation worse. 

However, if your “new” experience is well crafted, it need not commit you to years of misery if you don’t like it – my foray into the world of economics lasted four hours. So – tip number two:

2.       Keep it short!

The physical environment is a key determinant of our mood.  A serene vista of water and fading light may make us gentle and reflective.  It’s the same in the office.  Some people feel much more capable when they clear up papers, and have a sense of starting anew with a clear desk.  But for me, one way of certainly changing your perspective is to physically move. So tip number three is:

3.       Move where you sit and work.

Moving where you sit and work enables you to see different things, feel different light and heat, and maybe even sit next to someone you don’t know.  When I’ve worked in culture change programmes, changing where people are located may sometimes be painful, but it signals very clearly that something different is happening. New conversations are had, new relationships are formed – even around the kettle in the kitchen.

So try something a little different. Small and contained at first, which will give you confidence, and be low-risk. Pretty soon, you’ll be climbing mountains, studying for that degree you always wanted, writing the novel or changing careers.

After all – as the NLP practitioners say – “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always got.”

Postscript:
I saw this article a day after I'd posted this.  Interesting additional reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment